Triniry College is the oldest university in Ireland. Founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I, the College is in an enviable position in the very heart of Ireland’s capital and in 1992 celebrated 400 years. The campus contains a unique collection of buildings dating from the 17th to the 20th century. The College is famed for the great treasures it has the honour to be guardian off. These include the BOOK OF KELLS, a 9th century illuminated manuscript, the books of Durrow and Armagh and an early Irish harp. These are displayed in The Colonnades exhibition Gallery and the Long Room which is the most impressive library in the College housing over 200,000 of Trinity’s oldest books
The sights along O’Connell Street include :
General Post Office (GPO). Scene of intense fighting during the 1916 Rising. The building was reconstructed after the Rising. A statue of Cuchulainn is on display in the main area.
Anna Livia, a monument in celebration of Dublin’s life blood, The Liffey. Dubliners are well known for their subtle sense of humour have named it “The Floozy in the Jacuzzi”
At the top of O’Connell St in Parnell St and just beyond the Rotunda Hospital you will find the Garden of Remembrance. A tribute to those who died in the War for Independence.
Guiness Hop Store
Guinness Storehouse (informally the Storehouse, also known as Guinness Hop Store) is a Guinness-themed tourist attraction located at St. James’s Gate Brewery in Dublin, Ireland. Since opening in November 2000, it has received over four million visitors.
The Storehouse is laid out over seven floors surrounding a glass atrium shaped in the form of a pint of Guinness. The ground floor introduces the beer’s four ingredients (water, barley, hops and yeast), and the brewery’s founder, Arthur Guinness. Other floors feature the history of Guinness advertising and include an interactive exhibit on responsible drinking. The seventh floor houses the Gravity Bar with views of Dublin and where visitors may drink a pint of Guinness included in the price of admission. In 2006, a new wing opened incorporating a live installation of the present day brewing process.
“Grafton street is heaven with coffee at 11 and a stroll round Stephens Green” or so the song goes. Surrounding Grafton street are many pubs and hotels made famous by Dublin’s literary greats. McDaid’s in Harry St, boasted Brendan Behan, Patrick Kavanagh and Flann O’Brien as regulars. Davy Byrne’s Lounge, visited in James Joyce’s “Ulysses” Duke St, Peter’s Pub Johnson place, frequented by Brendan Behan’s family. The Bailey, many literary associations with this pub. At the bottom of Grafton St, the Trinity end, you will find a monument to one of Dublin’s best known characters “Molly Malone”
One of the largest unoccupied gaols in Europe, covering some of the most heroic and tragic events in Ireland’s emergence as a modern nation from 1780s to the 1920s. Attractions include a major exhibition detailing the political and penal history of the prison and its restoration. The tour of the prison includes an audio-visual show.
Croke Park is a GAA stadium located in Dublin, Ireland. Named in honour of Archbishop Thomas Croke it is often called Croker by some GAA followers in Dublin, it serves both as the principal stadium and headquarters of the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA).
Since 1884 the site has been used primarily by the GAA to host Gaelic games, most notably the annual All-Ireland finals in football and hurling. Both the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2003 Special Olympics, as well as numerous music concerts by major international acts, have been held in the stadium.
The gardens were founded in 1795 by the Dublin Society (later the Royal Dublin Society) and they have grown to hold 20,000 living plants and many millions of dried plant specimens. There are several architecturally notable greenhouses. Today the Glasnevin site is the headquarters of the National Botanic Gardens of Ireland which has a satellite garden at Kilmcurragh in county Wicklow.